What is an ATA Carnet?
The ATA Carnet is a customs document for temporary exports and imports. It is an international customs document, which allows you to temporarily import to countries according to the Customs Convention.
Such items include:
• Exhibition material
• Items for practicing a trade
• Commercial samples
Why an ATA carnet?
The ATA Carnet system’s purpose is to ease and simplify temporary customs-free exporting and importing by:
• Replacing exporting documentation in the source country
• Replacing customs documents in the temporary importing country
• Providing an internationally accepted guarantee, which covers possible customs and import taxes from the goods brought into the country
• Functioning as a transit document
How to get one?
ATA Carnets are granted by chambers of commerce in countries that have joined the agreement. Together, the chambers form an international guarantee chain.
An ATA Carnet is valid for 12 months. The price varies, depending on the general value of the cargo and the number of countries the cargo has to go through. Additionally, the applier provides a security deposit, which is returned if the ATA Carnet has been used correctly. The ATA Carnet needs to be returned to the same chamber of commerce from which it has been obtained.
A chamber member gets a 50% member discount off all ATA Carnets.